Wednesday, January 9, 2013

When You Say Nothing At All

The 90's. It brings back memories of my college years immersed in tons of research, homework, group work, tests and everything else in between. Music was just one of my refuge - a way for me to relieve my stress and temporarily forget about school and other issues.

It was 1995 that I heard this song, sung by Alison Krauss. Her voice is quite distinct reflecting her Country-Western genre'. The song "When You Say Nothing at All" played on the radio in restaurants, stereos of public transport and practically remained at the Top of the Charts for quite a long time.


It's a typical love song with lyrics both direct and figurative, expressing the song writer's subtle and somehow intense feelings for someone. A few years after its release, Ronan Keating of a popular boy band - Boyzone sang the song in his own rendition and was even featured in the film: "Notting Hill".

This was the time when I bought song books just for this song. Since it was sung now by a guy, it would be easier for me to sing it, because it would match my vocal range.




I practically played this song in my guitar repeatedly until the tips of my fingers grew numb, but it was all worth it, because I was able to memorize it.

As I have said before, I am trying to revisit my old hobbies and I attempted to record this song. Once again, due to some technical limitations, the sound quality cannot be really compared to professional studios. But hey, who said about being professional anyway? - hahhahaha





No comments:

Post a Comment