Saturday, April 19, 2014

Blue Flame

It's been a long time coming and I should have written about my artwork. Finally I have gotten the chance to doing so. I started out with charcoal pencils and wanted very much to draw superhero characters, but drawing faces were quite challenging for me.

I started trying out oil pastels, awkward at first, but I became more comfortable with it.... eventually. One of my earlier works, I thought of drawing this osprey (below) that I have seen from a book of birds. The blending of the colors weren't that refined and the details of the wings were not that well-drawn. 

At that time I thought it was perfect, but just like with everything else in life, you grow and notice the "fine details" then learn to improve on those. 


An even earlier work of mine when I tried a "mixed media" of pastels, ink and colored pens. I saw this from the magazine of my mother and I wanted to challenge myself at that time: 



The trees looked like "green clouds" and the branches stood out like crooked fingers with a pale blue background - a crude attempt for a sky. The play of light and shade weren't that distinct - well, I suppose I learned anew.

I started drawing abstracts after a decade, because I thought it was high time to draw something original and I suppose a decade from now, I would notice some imperfections in it and would again learn to further refine my skills.
"Blue Flame"
I entitled this: "Blue Flame" and while I was on my way home from work, this picture popped up in my head for some reason. So, I immediately drew it upon reaching my house before I even had forgotten it. It represents a calm kind of heat, a warmth that every one of us have, but sometimes forget due to our busy lives and is usually drowned out by our personal issues or even people who does not value our worth.

Painting abstracts can be quite tough, because without the proper motivation like a random emotion or striking experience that can evoke an idea, abstracts would turn out to be a disaster. 

I suppose it's time for me to revisit my old hobby, since I haven't painted any abstracts for many years now - it will definitely be a breath of fresh air :)



No comments:

Post a Comment