Monday, October 27, 2014

Recovery Training...(a virus-busting workout)

I have finally found another gym where I could train like a "mutant", I mean in a very intense way that I have done so for several years now. The first thing I noticed when I walked into Generation X Fitness Gym are the "Mutant" supplement posters which definitely caught my attention.

The area is not that spacious, but it has the basic weight-training and cardio equipment that most local gyms have. It has been about a little over 2 months since I decided to take a break from running and go back to my first passion: weight-training. 

I'm quite satisfied with the progressive gains I'm experiencing as well as the fulfilling "serotonin-feel-good" feeling afterward. Recently however, I almost came down with the flu but still continued with the usual intense workouts that I normally do, despite the general body malaise, occasional dizziness and cold sweat that I experience afterwards.

I strongly don't recommend weight training when sick (colds and slight fever), but it works like magic for me, because it shortens my sick days. The sweating somehow prevents the fever from worsening, but then again - that's just me. 

I also met new gym buddies as well as a trainer who shares the same passion as I do. For more than 3 weeks now, I have been training intensely with this guy and we're loving every minute of our gut-wrenching, iron-clanging and face-contorting workouts, leaving us practically breathless and sweaty - but definitely a good quality workout.

From left to right: JM, Jason (trainer), :) and Warren
taken right after our grueling chest workout


It really helps me a lot to sustain my energy levels, especially because I teach English for 7 hours a day, 6 days a week or the usual house chores that my wife and I do or requests from my mom, sis and friends. The daily demands of life can take its toll on the mind and the body - but my workouts keeps me going,...like the energizer bunny but in "mutant" kinda way.

Lately however, due to my demanding work schedule and that of my buddies, I had no choice but to work out like a lone wolf - finishing my exercise in just a little over an hour or so and then I head back home, take my whey protein, take a shower, eat lunch and I'm in front of my PC talking to my first student in no time.

Exercise will be forever a part of my lifestyle, considering my perpetual immuno-compromised state due to allergies. Recovery training has a totally different definition for me, because it does shorten my sick days and again, I don't recommend it to anyone.

If you think you're sick and cannot even lift a 4lb dumbbell, I really would recommend to get lots of rest, take lots of water and occasional cold baths to bring the fever down and if it still persists, go see a doctor.

Working out with body malaise is not for the faint-hearted,...literally.


No comments:

Post a Comment